Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/16/2018, 11:50 AM   #1
Bigfudge
Registered Member

Will 24gal Sump be too small for 100 Gal Tank.

Hello Everyone!

New guy to the hobby here! I recently bought a used CadLights 100gallon aquarium setup and I'm starting to get everything in order.

A 30 gallon sump came with the setup but it takes up pretty much the whole underside of the cabinet only leaving about approx. 6" to the side and 6" to the front.

I know the larger the sump the better, But I'd like to have more space under the cabinet for an ATO Reservoir and maybe some media reactors.

I was thinking about going with the 26 gallon Trigger Systems 20C cube sump. It would give me more space at the cost of 4 gallons of water. Will this work?

I re-drilled the tank to have two 1 1/4" drains since to go with a Herbie setup opposed to the 1 1/4" Durso and 3/4" E-Drain it had before.

Any help would be appreciated! I know the topic of sumps has been asked a million times so thanks for your patience.

-Fudge

Old 04/16/2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Bigfudge
Registered Member

Correction, 24gallon sump so I'd loose out on 6 gallons of water.

Old 04/16/2018, 12:08 PM   #3
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Sump size should be based on equipment you wish to place in it and not in gallon volume.

Old 04/16/2018, 01:47 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yep^^
If you can fit what you want in it equipment wise then all good to go..
Also it needs to be able to handle the extra water that will drain back into it in a power failure situation.. but thats easy to adjust later if needed..

Old 04/16/2018, 04:37 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Skimmer can go inside the sump, but indeed, that's pretty tight. Your 24 should do ok.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, 2 firefish, 2 chromis, royal gramma basslet, starry blenny, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2018, 05:11 PM   #6
afroshacks
Registered Member

Going smaller for space is in your best interest imo. When it comes time to cleaning, maintenance, and replacing equipment and such you'll be very happy to have the space to get to everything and get it out with minimal conflict.
Going larger for water volume is great but with 100 gallon tank plus youll maybe pull another 15 off the 24 gallon sump once everything is in place, 6 more gallons isn't much to fuss about.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 46G Bowfront, 10G Fuge, AquaC Remora S HOB Skimmer, 50pnds LR, 1" Sand Bed
afroshacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2018, 07:22 PM   #7
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

That is plenty. As long as you have room for your skimmer and it doesn't overflow when the pump is off you are good. If you are considering reactors to go in the sump then you'll need something larger but like you I had to keep it small so I could fit a ATO supply under the cabinet.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2018, 01:06 AM   #8
Bigfudge
Registered Member

Thanks guys for the input! Now I'm stuck trying to decide if I want to go with the Triton Method. If I end up that route then I'll have to buy a bigger sump with a big fuge but wouldn't need the media reactors if Im correct. And I'll still have room for the ATO but that would be about it. Was checking out the synergyreef triton sump or the trigger but the trigger is out of stock.

Old 04/17/2018, 07:21 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfudge View Post
Now I'm stuck trying to decide if I want to go with the Triton Method.
you just have no clue which direction you want to go do you? small sump.. no big sump
flip flopper

Old 04/17/2018, 01:56 PM   #10
Bigfudge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
you just have no clue which direction you want to go do you? small sump.. no big sump

flip flopper

Itís so true haha! Thatís the beauty of not having everything purchased yet! That said, once I pull the trigger so to speak itís set and in motion I wonít change my mind. I do like the idea of no water changes and less equipment so Triton might win out. Being a newb sucks sometimes!