Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/04/2017, 05:10 PM   #151
this is me
Registered Member

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2017, 05:11 PM   #152
this is me
Registered Member

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Old 06/04/2017, 05:13 PM   #153
this is me
Registered Member

Old 06/04/2017, 05:18 PM   #154
markalot

I'm speechless. Gorgeous. Hopefully you aren't done posting photos!

Old 06/04/2017, 05:19 PM   #155
this is me
Registered Member

Old 06/04/2017, 05:20 PM   #156
this is me
Registered Member

Old 06/04/2017, 05:22 PM   #157
this is me
Registered Member

Old 06/04/2017, 05:24 PM   #158
this is me
Registered Member

Old 06/04/2017, 05:24 PM   #159
this is me
Registered Member

Old 06/04/2017, 05:25 PM   #160
this is me
Registered Member

Old 06/04/2017, 05:26 PM   #161
this is me
Registered Member

Old 06/04/2017, 05:27 PM   #162
this is me
Registered Member

Enjoy! Video will be posted tomorrow.

Old 06/04/2017, 05:51 PM   #163
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wow!! What Mark said. Just amazing!
Looking so good and healthy!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 4x AI prime 6xt5 3x150w mh. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2017, 09:26 PM   #164
dave.m
Registered Member

Some great camera work and nice shots!

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2017, 07:59 AM   #165
choss
Registered Member

Nick - stunning tank. I'm getting ready to start a much smaller build and this tank is an inspiration for me!

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2017, 08:58 PM   #166
Rene Obergfell
Registered Member

Great build

I have a Miracle tank and love it

Rene Obergfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2017, 07:07 AM   #167
cesarjimen
Registered Member

Nick, really like you tank! Just got a 450 gal from Miracles this week and will be using some of your aquascape ideas as inspiration.

What do you dose in terms of supplements? Nitrate reduction, etc?

Can you describe in a bit more detail how you cycled your tank so quickly? I will be using dry rock and will also be transferring livestock from another tank.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal reef tank
cesarjimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2017, 08:43 PM   #168
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarjimen View Post
Nick, really like you tank! Just got a 450 gal from Miracles this week and will be using some of your aquascape ideas as inspiration.

What do you dose in terms of supplements? Nitrate reduction, etc?

Can you describe in a bit more detail how you cycled your tank so quickly? I will be using dry rock and will also be transferring livestock from another tank.
Thanks!
What dimension is your 450? That must be a sweet tank!
I don't run anything special other than carbon and GFO and a refugium. I actually have not tested nitrate in this tank. For phosphate, I tried to keep it under 0.06ppm. Most of the time, it's between 0.01-0.04ppm.

For this tank transfer, I did not use any of the rocks from the previous tank because they had some aiptasias on them and I wanted to keep the existed tank running as the new tank was being brought up online.
I got a bunch of rocks and I threw them in a large rubbermaid bin and ran it with a power head for almost a year. I think this really helps with the cycle. I also did not use the old sand and went with all new sand. I did use a cup just to seed the new sand.
To be honest with you, I went with the most simple set up and maintenance and it works for me. I use the cheapest salt as possible(IO) and change 10% of water
every week. Clean my skimmer every week. And change out the carbon and GFO every two months. This is probably the most easy tank I've ran despite being the largest tank.

Old 06/11/2017, 08:54 PM   #169
maddmaxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Thanks!
What dimension is your 450? That must be a sweet tank!
I don't run anything special other than carbon and GFO and a refugium. I actually have not tested nitrate in this tank. For phosphate, I tried to keep it under 0.06ppm. Most of the time, it's between 0.01-0.04ppm.

For this tank transfer, I did not use any of the rocks from the previous tank because they had some aiptasias on them and I wanted to keep the existed tank running as the new tank was being brought up online.
I got a bunch of rocks and I threw them in a large rubbermaid bin and ran it with a power head for almost a year. I think this really helps with the cycle. I also did not use the old sand and went with all new sand. I did use a cup just to seed the new sand.
To be honest with you, I went with the most simple set up and maintenance and it works for me. I use the cheapest salt as possible(IO) and change 10% of water
every week. Clean my skimmer every week. And change out the carbon and GFO every two months. This is probably the most easy tank I've ran despite being the largest tank.
that is insanely encouraging that your tank looks this good off of the very basic routines. KUDOS...i too was wondering if you dosed. very pleased to see you havent. and i wouldnt knock IO so fast lol, ive read many a threads on successful SPS tanks using that salt...

but i did have a question about your lighting... your running the 4xt5s and the 3x250 halides? did you ever switch it to HQI settings?

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2017, 09:13 PM   #170
cesarjimen
Registered Member

Thananks for sharing, Nick. My new tank is 96x36x30. Lots of work to do on it.

That was smart to cycle the rock that long. I just got through bleaching my rock..

Current Tank Info: 300 gal reef tank
cesarjimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2017, 09:57 PM   #171
kinggeorge818
Registered Member

What's the name of your video on YouTube because the link isn't working for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 675 gallon tank, 220 gallon vat, 200 gallon sump, 60 gallon refugium
kinggeorge818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2017, 07:35 AM   #172
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
that is insanely encouraging that your tank looks this good off of the very basic routines. KUDOS...i too was wondering if you dosed. very pleased to see you havent. and i wouldnt knock IO so fast lol, ive read many a threads on successful SPS tanks using that salt...

but i did have a question about your lighting... your running the 4xt5s and the 3x250 halides? did you ever switch it to HQI settings?
I have'nt had any issue with IO. Yes, their Calcium is a little low at around 360ppm. I just add a little of BRS calcium chloride. And since I'm doing it routinely, I know the ball park amount for the calcium I need. But I'm also doing only a 10% water change so the parameters is not going to be significantly affected if I'm a little off. IO alk is around 8dKH the last time I tested my batch.
I do dose BRS ALK and Calcium via dosing pumps in conjunction with my Schuran reactor. My PH would be too low if I turn up the CO2 in the reactor and the dosing system also acts a a back up if the CaRX stop running. There's so many components in the CaRx that could failed or forgotten. The Masterflex pump is easy to be noticed if it stop running(The loudest part of my entire system). The recirculation pump could fail(harder to identify). And the CO2 tank could be empty(This actually happened before where the tank was empty and I did not know about it). My point is, it's good to have dual system to do one of the most important thing in the system.

I'm using a single 72" Geismann Spectra with 3x250W Radiums and 2x80ATI Blue plus T5 and 2x80W Geismann Super Actinic T5. I started with running the Radiums at 250W with the Luxcore ballast. Then I cranked it up to 300W(HQI) for 3 months. Didn't really notice anything so I turned it back down to 250W. Getting what is acceptable colors to me on the SPS is all I care about.
I also wanted to add some additional T5s on the sides but that is kind of a low priority lol.

Old 06/12/2017, 07:36 AM   #173
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggeorge818 View Post
What's the name of your video on YouTube because the link isn't working for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Youtube channel is here.
https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisme999/videos

The latest videos I have on there is about 3 months ago. Still working on an updated video.

Old 06/16/2017, 08:18 PM   #174
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Amazing tank! This is what I want to achieve one day down the road, fat happy fish, beautifully colored corals, and the aquascape is perfect for that tank. I will be following along

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2017, 10:31 PM   #175
andywar
Registered Member

Impressive, artwork, congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

andywar is offline   Reply With Quote