Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/23/2018, 03:22 PM   #1
JTL
Registered Member

RC or IO

I need to switch salt mixes. Fritz RPM has disappointed me and the company attitude sucks, but enough about that. IO regular or RC? I have a mixed tank corals are nothing special but I have a lot of them. My params are Ca 550, Alk 9 and Mg 1700 because of the Fritz product. Also considered Red Sea and Kent Marine. Seems like there is no clear consensus. Suggestions?

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2018, 03:46 PM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

I personally use regular old IO(purple box), but I match my display with the big 3. I used to use RC, but did not like how it had that brown crud from sitting in a mixing barrel.

Regular IO mixes up to about 390 CAL, 10 ALK, and 1200MAG. I've used almost an entire pallet of 200G boxes, and these numbers are pretty consistent for me.

Little CAL and MAG supplementation, and muriatic acid to lower the ALK to 8.5.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2018, 03:47 PM   #3
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I personally use regular old IO(purple box), but I match my display with the big 3. I used to use RC, but did not like how it had that brown crud from sitting in a mixing barrel.

Regular IO mixes up to about 390 CAL, 10 ALK, and 1200MAG. I've used almost an entire pallet of 200G boxes, and these numbers are pretty consistent for me.

Little CAL and MAG supplementation, and muriatic acid to lower the ALK to 8.5.
Good info...thanks.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2018, 11:25 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

A lot of Tanks of the Month have run on IO. I agree that the brown sludge is a bit of a mess, but it will not harm the tank.

Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM   #5
cincyjim
Registered Member

I used RC from the start and about 6 months ago I started using Fritz RPM because of the brown sludge RC leaves behind in the mixing barrel. If I was going to use one of the two, then I would use IO. It's gets old scrubbing the barrel after you've made the batch of saltwater.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, 6 lamp T5 @ 54w each with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM   #6
RobZilla04
Registered Member

I've been doing a lil mixing and matching. Was thinking about switching to Fritz but after finding several thread regarding wild variations I think Ill stick with my mix and match.
Typically Ill test a day or so before a change, since I mix up only about 15g the day before.

Regular IO, Reef Crystals, and Red Sea. Generally I like the boost to Cal I get from the Red Sea and using one 5g bucket is 1/3 the WC thus lessens the impact of increasing Alk from the IO & RC.

I should just be able to find one that matches, but consistency and availability is seemingly tough in this market.

FWIW 1.026

Instant Ocean 400 11 1350
Reef Crystals 490 13 1440
Red Sea 410 7.7 1280
Red Sea Coral Pro 450 12.2 1340

Source: https://www.thatpetplace.com/salt-mix-guide

Last edited by RobZilla04; Yesterday at 05:50 AM. Reason: link
RobZilla04 is offline   Reply With Quote