Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/17/2018, 10:19 PM   #426
Wally.B
Registered Member

Long Nose Hawkfish (Must have died). NOT IN SUMP

Maybe my wife did learn some things after hanging around Fish for two decades.

So the burning question is WHY DID HE DIE?

He survived after 2 cases of ICH over last 2 years.

Age?

Or A disease?

I wonder since I do have a Copperband coming from QT in a couple of weeks, and he will go into that tank. I can't put two Copperbands in New Tank.

I guess I'll find out.

The good news is I found the Large Peppermint Shrimp that I thought died OR got Eaten by the Hawkfish.

TIME TO MOVE ON. This Long Weekend, I'm am 100% doing Rocks. Moving in new 4 Fish and shortly afterwards starting CORALS.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2018, 01:05 AM   #427
Rakie
Registered Member

Apparently hawkfish can get a nasty infection if they bump the glass and hurt their snoot. Similar to pipefish and seahorse.

My fish are used to almost anything. Loud music, action movies. I've got a 12" sub right next to my tank and not a thing I do scares them anymore.. But if they see the shadow of a bird fly by the window, sheer panic in the breadth of a split second.

You never know with fish. Something can easily spook 'em, and when a particular fish's trademark looks typically lead to trademarks deaths luck isn't always in our (their) favor.

Old 05/19/2018, 12:27 AM   #428
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Apparently hawkfish can get a nasty infection if they bump the glass and hurt their snoot. Similar to pipefish and seahorse.

My fish are used to almost anything. Loud music, action movies. I've got a 12" sub right next to my tank and not a thing I do scares them anymore.. But if they see the shadow of a bird fly by the window, sheer panic in the breadth of a split second.

You never know with fish. Something can easily spook 'em, and when a particular fish's trademark looks typically lead to trademarks deaths luck isn't always in our (their) favor.
Maybe you have a good Diagnosis on the Snoot Thing.

Those Blue Green Chromis's have gotten Massive. Only 3 Left after starting with 9.

6 Got Eliminated due to Eating Competition. They get pretty rough, Leader get to eat first, etc.

The Hawkfish, would try to eat. Always got some food, but would scoot away (FROM FEEDING STATION) since the Chromis would BASH and BUMP eat other.

Either he starved, or got hurt after so many bumps.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Old 05/19/2018, 12:37 AM   #429
Wally.B
Registered Member

TOTAL COMPLETION of Basement RENO (Darth Portal Closet) BONUS Feature (Automation Voice Recognition)

So the Closet with Darth Portal Side is done. (AND NOW I Tackle the Final Tank Setup)

The IKEA DOOR slides like on Butter, and Also LOCKs into POSITION at ENDS. (Left is my Old Shelving, with Space on Right for Brooms and Vacuum Cleaner)

The Side Display Portal......(Accepted quite well by Family to be a DARTH Station)

I didn't STAIN the Wood (Side Panel), since Natural Looks is great. Just 2 Coat of Polyurethane.

AND HERE IS WHAT MAKES The DARTH PORTAL SPECIAL.

Hidden inside (DARTH VADERs HEAD), .....Running on a USB BATTERY PACK ....is an ALEXA DOT Speaker.

THE LOCATION IS PERFECT (Since It's in the Middle of Basement) and I can control things from Any location.

ALexa, controls the LIGHTING, in Rec Room, the Sump Room, and the Frag and QT Tank.

Very Fine Tuned Design (AFTER TESTING MANY, many products).
A bit of Automation, but a blend of Manual / Simplicity. (MOre about this In a You Tube Video).

Old 05/19/2018, 01:09 AM   #430
Wally.B
Registered Member

Just to put things in comparison.

Here is Last Nov During Pipe-in-Wall Leak/Flooding, and NOW.

Old 05/19/2018, 05:03 PM   #431
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Everything looks great!

Marty

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #432
Wally.B
Registered Member

TANK IS (JUMPER FISH READY) Last IMPORTANT PART [A DIY Tank Top Net]

Before I even consider putting in my BlackCap Basslet, or future Wrasse, this had to be done. (A TANK NET).

I was originally thinking of some Roller Shade Idea for the Tank Top Net.
The Goal of easy Removal, Easy Partial Access, and Snug Closed Fit.

This quick HACK came out PERFECT.

I started with my Nylon Clear Netting Attached to a TENSOR ROD (Holes Drilled and TIE WRAPS)

I was going to make a (4 Sided Frame), but when Fitting it, found out a better way.

Simple and does the Job. Not an Eye Sore, (I will still trim Net Edge nicely)

THE NET IS STRECHY, so I can reach my hand in for Glass Cleaning, or Tong access.

AND For BIGGER JOBS, the Corn Unhooks for a Open Flap Access.

Can also be Totally removed in a second, but I probably never will.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #433
Wally.B
Registered Member

After Looking at my Last Post Photo's (I saw some possible ESCAPE GAPS)

This is BETTER.

I AM IN NO MOOD, to Lose Any more Fish

Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM   #434
Wally.B
Registered Member

GEARING UP for CORALS (First Water Test Since NEW-Tank Fill/Start)

N=25 ppm
P=0.15 ppm

That's not too Bad since I have haven't done a Water Change for 2 months.

Not bothering with ALK/CALC till I get serious about adding Corals.

I'm sure there was Die off when Tank Started, but I believe the Algae Scrubber and Seachem MATRIX kept things in check.

About to do a 30Gal or 25% Water change, to Freshen up the Tank.

I think I'll turn on the GF0 Reactor and add some more Matrix.