Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/12/2018, 07:21 PM   #1
Bernie21
Registered Member

Stand materials?

Hey guys,

What type of stand is best for a long term tank? I'd like to build a tank into my next home and want to invest in what will last longest and be best maintained. I've been away from the hobby so I don't know if still wood and steel and what the pros and cons are. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2018, 06:31 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

"best" or "proper material choice" really depends on many variables/factors not defined in your post...
There are plenty of people who build an in-wall tank or freestanding system using just wood to fully support it..
There are also people who use steel or aluminum..

There is really no reason that wood can't be used for in 99% of the applications and is likely less costly,etc....

Old 05/13/2018, 09:21 AM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah agree, depends on other factors, tank size and footprint.

I build most all mine from wood, but I'm a carpenter, so it's easy to do for me, but I have to admit steel frame is usually better, especially very large tanks.

I would avoid MDF for marine applications if you want long term

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2018, 09:37 PM   #4
Bernie21
Registered Member

Thanks for your inputs.

I'm looking to build a fairly large tank, between 200 & 400. However, the details are dependant on the home, footprint, exact size, shape, in wall, free standing or peninsula. That's why I'm interested in the material because depending on that, it may be difficult to replace or repair later. I'd like to take the longest term view up front.

MDF?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Old 05/14/2018, 04:38 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie21 View Post
Thanks for your inputs.

I'm looking to build a fairly large tank, between 200 & 400. However, the details are dependant on the home, footprint, exact size, shape, in wall, free standing or peninsula. That's why I'm interested in the material because depending on that, it may be difficult to replace or repair later. I'd like to take the longest term view up front.

MDF?

MDF = medium density fiberboard.. Looks like boards made of sawdust glued/pressed together into a board..

I'm really not sure I could state a definitive reason that wood couldn't be used for a 200/400G tank long term..
I can't come up with a valid reason that you must use steel either..

Its really just personal preference..

If you stated you wanted room under the tank for something that might lead me to recommend a steel frame... But other than that its really a "flip a coin" situation..

Old 05/16/2018, 08:21 PM   #6
Bernie21
Registered Member

Thank you guys for the responses. I guess I'm just looking for durability. I wonder what the life span is of either material. I guess I'm concerned with rot vs rust. I'd definitely not be using MDF.

Old 05/16/2018, 10:51 PM   #7
thegrun
Registered Member

I like steel powder coated to prevent rust at least for the cross supports. Long term wood tends to bow slightly.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 07:27 AM   #8
nereefpat
Registered Member

Of the three you listed, MDF will deteriorate the worst over time, because moisture affects it the most.

Of course I'm sure that there are MDF stands that have been in commission a long.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 07:32 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie21 View Post
I wonder what the life span is of either material. I guess I'm concerned with rot vs rust.
Houses made of wood last a long time.. (longer than you/I will)

I'm not really trying to suggest wood.. that decision is all you.. but rather simply showing that there are really no real reasons it can't be used either..

Most powercoating can last hundreds of hours with exposure to "salt fog/spray" before showing signs of red rust.... Wood will also dry out and not always rot and wood can be sealed too..

Are you planning on moisture exposure? IF so neither material is what I would choose.. I'd favor a plastic or maybe a rubber membrane in areas you think may get extensive water exposure..

The goal though is to keep the water in the tank

Old 05/17/2018, 05:09 PM   #10
azsoccerpop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Houses made of wood last a long time.. (longer than you/I will)

I'm not really trying to suggest wood.. that decision is all you.. but rather simply showing that there are really no real reasons it can't be used either..

Most powercoating can last hundreds of hours with exposure to "salt fog/spray" before showing signs of red rust.... Wood will also dry out and not always rot and wood can be sealed too..

Are you planning on moisture exposure? IF so neither material is what I would choose.. I'd favor a plastic or maybe a rubber membrane in areas you think may get extensive water exposure..

The goal though is to keep the water in the tank
So i am also debating wood vs steel and came across your plywood built stand. I think it was an 80G. Kudos on that design. Curious if you ever posted or could post a finished picture of it? I have a 150G eurobraced tank and many of the Big Box tank makers like Cadlights and Red Sea use the same plywood method and so I am considering this as a 3rd option. Any suggestions based on your experience for design, cuts, material? A kreg Jig is far cheaper then 50 ft of steel and a harbor freight 125 amp flux core welder. Thanks

azsoccerpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 06:48 PM   #11
PitViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsoccerpop View Post
So i am also debating wood vs steel and came across your plywood built stand. I think it was an 80G. Kudos on that design. Curious if you ever posted or could post a finished picture of it? I have a 150G eurobraced tank and many of the Big Box tank makers like Cadlights and Red Sea use the same plywood method and so I am considering this as a 3rd option. Any suggestions based on your experience for design, cuts, material? A kreg Jig is far cheaper then 50 ft of steel and a harbor freight 125 amp flux core welder. Thanks

So. I am a welder. And i am also currently looking into building my stand. I am going to be using aluminum with 3/16 inch thick walls which is structural grade. And will hold. It is light and strong all at the same time. Just give an idea is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 07:08 PM   #12
NO3
In Memoriam

I paid a Carpenter about $200 to build a frame WITHIN my stand using pressure-treated 2x4s. Its a 6ft 180gal stand that didnt look too sturdy when I bought it.

Now that I have a "frame-inside-a-frame".....my stand is so strong I betcha I could put my 4000lbs car on top of it.....

NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 07:30 PM   #13
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

MDF will lose all structural integrity when soaked. Big no!

FWIW I have a 25 year old wood stand that is doing just fine. Some parts of it have salt creeping out the pores. Salt may make a good preservative, I don't know.

Personally I can build anything out of wood, but never welded anything. So that right there would determine the choice for me. And not sure I would bother but Resourcinol or epoxy glue and stainless hardware would be good choices.

If price is no object, find someone who can make one for you out of stainless steel.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote