Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/13/2018, 04:51 AM   #1
pciscott
Pirates Cove Reef

Help 3 Speedy 230 pumps no display after power outage?

I have 3 Speedy 230 pumps on my 400, one is return, other 2 closed loops. All 3 pumps running perfect for close to 5 years. Power went out for 15 minutes, when power returned no display on all 3 Speedy 230 pumps. Got out spare pump and switched display on return and it works with existing pump. For some reason I have 3 displays out after power outage? Can you help me troubleshoot and diagnose as my tank is without flow?

Thank you, Scott

Current Tank Info: Pirates Cove 400 Gallon Peninsula with 10 Ecotech Gen 4 Pro Lights, SPS heavy mixed Reef, Tank Controlled by Apex back up monitoring by Profilux, Tropic Marin Pro Salt, Brightwell Suplements and Bio Bricks, Way too many Fish! Keep it simple!
pciscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2018, 09:38 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

When the power came back on, the surge that is typical following power restoration likely killed the controllers. I had the same thing happen to a TV once. All electric companies recommend unplugging appliances and electronics during an outage to avoid damage to them when the power is restored which is something that most in our hobby don’t think about. Also having them on a quality UPS with surge suppression can help as well. You and I can discuss this further offline.

https://www.ready.gov/power-outages

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2018, 03:05 PM   #3
gcarroll
Registered Member

Scott,
Talk about timing. This article came out just a couple days prior to your issue. I certainly haven't heard of this happening before on any other brand of pump but based on the info in this article, it appears the issue has come up in other instances. Are the pumps still under warranty? Having 3 pumps down at the same time is certainly nothing that someone plans for.

https://reefbum.com/equipment/why-yo...ge-suppressor/

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2018, 03:31 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
Scott,
Talk about timing. This article came out just a couple days prior to your issue. I certainly haven't heard of this happening before on any other brand of pump but based on the info in this article, it appears the issue has come up in other instances. Are the pumps still under warranty? Having 3 pumps down at the same time is certainly nothing that someone plans for.

https://reefbum.com/equipment/why-yo...ge-suppressor/
They were well out of warranty. While it isn’t common, it does happen more than you think and NOT just with these pumps. I have had it happen to me with a TV, a Reeflo pump which blew out the start capacitor, another Chinese DC pumps power supply and even a Tunze power supply. I’ve lost ballasts as a result of outages, computer power supplies, computer LCD displays as well. All of the above mentioned failures were the result of power outages. I learned the hard way that good surge suppression is important so I just use quality UPS’s with surge suppression. Even the electric companies recommend unplugging appliances and electronics during power outages for this same reason. The fact that all 3 went out at once after the power came back on is very telling that there was a surge. Or perhaps the surge happened when the power went out depending on the cause of the outage. If for example a transformer blew, that could have caused it.

I am aware of the Reefbum article. I had a conversation with him about that and always recommend using surge suppression/protection with expensive electronic devices including my own. That said, we don’t now if the root cause of his was a surge but it was one possibility. It could have been a random failure as well since his pump was a number of years old. There is no telling in his case but if it was a surge, then having surge protection can help mitigate that. Failures are obviously going to happen from time to time but when 3 go out at once during a power failure, that is pretty telling.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 10/17/2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10/17/2018, 04:41 PM   #5
gcarroll
Registered Member

Help 3 Speedy 230 pumps no display after power outage?

Thanks for that explanation. Any recommendations for whole house surge suppression? Also what is the difference between surge suppression and surge protection? When I look up surge suppression keep coming up with devices that say surge protection.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2018, 05:45 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
Thanks for that explanation. Any recommendations for whole house surge suppression? Also what is the difference between surge suppression and surge protection? When I look up surge suppression keep coming up with devices that say surge protection.
I have no suggestions on whole house surge protection. It would be a friggen great addition to any home though if it wasn’t cost prohibitive. God knows, we in So. Cal have fairly regular outages. Especially in the summer months when our grids get overloaded. Fortunately for me, we have very few here in Simi and if they do occur, they are usually very short but that can be an issue because when a part of the grid goes down, the power companies switch power to alternate grids. When the power company switches power from one grid to the next, surges are all too common. Also, we are lucky we don't live in an area prone to electrical storms but lightening is a huge cause of surges in some parts of the country.

As for the difference between surge suppression and surge protection, I think they are one in the same. A surge protector suppresses surges. I think Reefbum indicated that a Surge Protector will trip its breaker in the event of a surge but I’ve never experienced that. Maybe some are designed that way though. Typically, the breakers on surge protectors are there to prevent overload on the output side of the circuit and in my experience have nothing to do with surges on the input side but as I said, I don’t have experience with too many stand alone surge protectors. Instead, I use quality UPS’s with built in surge protection such as those from APC.

Last edited by slief; 10/17/2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10/30/2018, 08:26 PM   #7
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Funny I heard a Allstate commercial advertising that they cover electronics due to power surges, I guess it wouldn't hurt to call your insurance company to see if you are covered.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2018, 08:44 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
Funny I heard a Allstate commercial advertising that they cover electronics due to power surges, I guess it wouldn't hurt to call your insurance company to see if you are covered.
You have a good point. You can also file a claim with the electric company. If a transformer for example blows, that is a failure as a result of their equipment and many do have coverage for electronics in some instances if the failure is a result of the utility companies equipment.

Old Today, 06:53 AM   #9
ReefBum
Registered Member

According to my research, a surge suppressor regulates the voltage and makes the power constant when a power spike or surge occurs. A protector simply detects a surge and shuts down a device. For a controllable pump it is advisable to use a suppressor since you will not want the pump to shut down every time the power spikes. This is what I picked up based on Scott's advice:

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Sinewave-...%28BR1500MS%29

It is referred to as a surge "protector" in the product title but when you read the product description it says the device controls high/low voltage. Apparently suppressors are commonly referred to as protectors, which is confusing.

Current Tank Info: Eurobraced 187g Low Iron Glass Tank
ReefBum is online now   Reply With Quote