Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/14/2018, 07:00 PM   #1
idan555
Registered Member

BTA added into my tank

Hi guys,
I added on Friday 2 small BTA's (3").
They both went to the back wall and just stayed there. I'm not sure if I should move them or let them be.
I read a lot about people saying, let them be, they need to acclimate and they'll move by in about 5 days. plus don't feed them so they won't feel comfortable where they are at.

What do you guys think? should I try to place them on top of the tank and see what happen?

Dan.

idan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Anemone
Cloning Around

No, leave them alone! You stress them more, and risk damaging them by attempting to move.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2018, 07:37 PM   #3
idan555
Registered Member

Should I feed them or let them be?

Old 05/14/2018, 08:40 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by idan555 View Post
Should I feed them or let them be?
As has been said in countless threads on this subject, leave it alone. They need time to acclimate and settle in and moving it will stress it more. Also, don’t feed it! They are photosynthetic filter feeders. In the wild, they get their nutrition from the nutrients in the water. If you do decide to feed it, stick to mysis. No raw table shrimp or silversides or any large meaty foods. Their digestive system aren’t designed for large meaty foods and that will just stress it more. Hopefully your tank is well established and not a new tank because new tanks that aren’t well established often results in dead BTA’s!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2018, 09:31 PM   #5
idan555
Registered Member

thank you for the information. my tank is about year and half old.
I'll do as you guys said

Old 05/15/2018, 05:36 AM   #6
Bpb
Registered Member

Always leave them alone. Never move an anemone. The anemone doesn’t know the other side of the tank is the display side. There’s not any guarantee that in 5 days, or 15 days or 50 days or 500 days that they’ll move around to the front. I have a bubble tip that moved itself to the back of the tank the day I got it. It has since split and is now two, both on the back of the rock work. They’ve been there for 3 years now. They’re more like snails than corals. They go wherever they’re comfortable. Try to force it and you’ll likely kill them. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2018, 07:13 AM   #7
tthouston
Registered Member

Here is a way I move my Anemone to the front. I let the Nem stay whatever it is for a month or two, then I start to move or turn the rock a little bit each day to let the Nem still feel comfortable and after a couple weeks, my Nem stays in the front. Of course I have to add few more rocks to block the water flow to the Nem during the moving process.

tthouston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2018, 10:27 PM   #8
idan555
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthouston View Post
Here is a way I move my Anemone to the front. I let the Nem stay whatever it is for a month or two, then I start to move or turn the rock a little bit each day to let the Nem still feel comfortable and after a couple weeks, my Nem stays in the front. Of course I have to add few more rocks to block the water flow to the Nem during the moving process.
In general what type of flow they like?

Old 05/16/2018, 03:57 AM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Strong light, perfect water, moderate flow available.
They will adjust from there.

Uncle99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2018, 12:40 PM   #10
juanfdezdc
Registered Member

They will move until they find a spot they like

juanfdezdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 11:38 AM   #11
tthouston
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idan555 View Post
In general what type of flow they like?
I had always used Jebao pump and I feel the Anemone love W1 mode, one Wavemaker of each side. I think the pump will short lived if we use W1 all the time because it stop and run all year long. The second option the Anemone like it is an H mode with low speed and 2 pumps still opposite on each side.

tthouston is online now   Reply With Quote