Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 04/08/2016, 12:22 AM   #76
cFloor
Registered Member
 
cFloor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,545
I really enjoyed your video. Such a beautiful tank! I love your aquascape and your choice of fish. Very nice!


__________________
250g. SPS tank

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2016, 12:38 AM   #77
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
I really enjoyed your video. Such a beautiful tank! I love your aquascape and your choice of fish. Very nice!
Thank you! It's always good to run into other SPS addicts! Jealous of that Regal of yours.


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2016, 08:57 AM   #78
gregkn73
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 270
Wonderful tank. Can I ask you, which test do you use for I2?


gregkn73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2016, 09:15 AM   #79
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkn73 View Post
Wonderful tank. Can I ask you, which test do you use for I2?
Thanks! I use the Red Sea kit.


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2016, 12:22 PM   #80
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
He's an updated video I took last night with the new warm white LED diodes (3.5k) I swapped into my Ocean Revive fixtures to replace all 10k and red/green diodes. I love the warm, natural look!



Video shot a couple days before the diode switch for comparison.




FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2016, 01:40 PM   #81
jdm1114
Registered Member
 
jdm1114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delaware Valley, PA
Posts: 424
Good work, I agree stay away from the cool whites. If you really want great colors remove another 50 - 75% of your white diodes and replace them with royal blue and blue diodes. Then add T5 retro with 2 coral plus.


jdm1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2016, 01:57 PM   #82
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm1114 View Post
Good work, I agree stay away from the cool whites. If you really want great colors remove another 50 - 75% of your white diodes and replace them with royal blue and blue diodes. Then add T5 retro with 2 coral plus.
Thanks for the input jdm1114! I have the T5 retro already on hand once I get a chance to hang it and will be adding an assortment of coral plus, purple plus, and blue plus bulbs to preference.

Is your recommendation specific to the Ocean Revive fixture or more of a general statement for LED fixtures with cool whites in them? The OR fixtures have plenty of royal blue and blue already on another channel so I'm hesitant to add more but I'm open to replacing even more cool whites if someone has done it firsthand with these fixtures and it looks a lot better.


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2016, 09:17 PM   #83
fishinthewall
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 125
What biopellet reactor are you using? If you didn't feed as much would you have a problem? Do you think you could keep this consistent without overfeeding?

Thanks for the responses im in aw over your tank and the wc less system is amazing!


fishinthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2016, 10:14 PM   #84
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinthewall View Post
What biopellet reactor are you using? If you didn't feed as much would you have a problem? Do you think you could keep this consistent without overfeeding?

Thanks for the responses im in aw over your tank and the wc less system is amazing!
Thanks for the compliment!

Nothing fancy, just a TLF 550 reactor that I removed the bottom plate from and superglued the tube in place.

I think the lack of overfeeding wouldn't be a major issue for anybody trying to mimic the setup. You just have to balance your nutrient removal accordingly by being less aggressive with it.

The main component is the CaRX for no water changes. It supplies the foundation elements and also many trace elements, such as strontium and potassium. The nutrient side of the equation is taken care of via biopellets for nitrates and GFO for phosphates.


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 05:30 AM   #85
M007
Acro Whore
 
M007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,631
Nice change after the diode swap, you're absolutely right, warmed it up and brought out a variety of colours not seen in the previous videos


__________________
Mixed reef emphasis on SPS. Tangs, Triggers, Bartlets, CBB, Goldflake Angel, and a Pigmy or two.

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 08:08 AM   #86
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor
 
Diesel3443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 989
I did the same thing when I ran LEDs. The tank wakes up when you remove all the cool whites.


__________________
SPS IM Lagoon 25 http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2617372

125g In-wall SPS tank - Retired
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558111
Diesel3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 08:15 AM   #87
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Yeah, I'm very surprised by the dramatic change in appearance of the tank. It was even more noticeable when playing both videos at the same time.

The tank didn't actually look that bad to me before the swap but now I'm realizing how much warmth I was missing before in my color tones.


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 08:17 AM   #88
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel3443 View Post
I did the same thing when I ran LEDs. The tank wakes up when you remove all the cool whites.
Did you do this on another fixture yourself? I'm almost tempted to replace the remaining 12k diodes on the unit but I feel like it might be overwhelmingly too warm. Any input is appreciated.


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 05:21 PM   #89
fishguy597
Registered Member
 
fishguy597's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minooka Il
Posts: 911
I love what I think is the red dragon on the left side. It has some gnarly branches on it. I've never seen anything like it.


fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 05:32 PM   #90
watchguy123
Registered Member
 
watchguy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,070
Great tank and both your videos and pictures are fantastic. Your sps coloration is spectacular. It's funny, sometimes it seems you can just look at a tank and recognize happy coral. And it's interesting, the polyp extension is not extraordinary in your tank but certainly the colors are Great job and congrats on a very beautiful reef tank


watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 07:21 PM   #91
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy597 View Post
I love what I think is the red dragon on the left side. It has some gnarly branches on it. I've never seen anything like it.
Thanks! That's the Mr. Pacman acro!


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 07:24 PM   #92
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
Great tank and both your videos and pictures are fantastic. Your sps coloration is spectacular. It's funny, sometimes it seems you can just look at a tank and recognize happy coral. And it's interesting, the polyp extension is not extraordinary in your tank but certainly the colors are Great job and congrats on a very beautiful reef tank
Thank you! Nice to get feedback from another SPS addict. My polyp extension, or lack thereof is directly related to one majestic angel I had to have.

I used to have a ton but he's kept them back. It's actually helped me see the base color on corals a bit more now... Gotta look on the brightside sometimes.


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 07:45 PM   #93
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybota View Post
Thanks! That's the Mr. Pacman acro!
Here's a picture of the mother colony I got it from.




FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 07:49 PM   #94
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor
 
Diesel3443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybota View Post
Did you do this on another fixture yourself? I'm almost tempted to replace the remaining 12k diodes on the unit but I feel like it might be overwhelmingly too warm. Any input is appreciated.

I did it to an standard evergrow fixture removed all 12k for the warm whites and added royal blues. From what I can remember it was a 1:1 ratio of WW to RB when I took out the Cool whites.


__________________
SPS IM Lagoon 25 http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2617372

125g In-wall SPS tank - Retired
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558111
Diesel3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 07:58 PM   #95
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel3443 View Post
I did it to an standard evergrow fixture removed all 12k for the warm whites and added royal blues. From what I can remember it was a 1:1 ratio of WW to RB when I took out the Cool whites.
Nice! I'll have to check my ratio on the fixture and see if my WW to RB ratio is 1:1.


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 10:09 PM   #96
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor
 
Diesel3443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 989
Remember that was only from the total of cool whites. The entire fixture probably ended up 3:1 blues to whites


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
SPS IM Lagoon 25 http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2617372

125g In-wall SPS tank - Retired
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558111
Diesel3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2016, 10:42 PM   #97
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel3443 View Post
Remember that was only from the total of cool whites. The entire fixture probably ended up 3:1 blues to whites


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh, I see.


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2016, 07:17 AM   #98
reefmutt
Registered Member
 
reefmutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mtl. Canada
Posts: 7,869
Really beautiful scape.
And the corals are fantastic.
When this baby grows in, it will be absolutely stunning.
It will be a pleasure to watch your tank mature!


__________________
Matt.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 4x AI prime 6xt5 3x150w mh. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2016, 08:19 AM   #99
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Really beautiful scape.
And the corals are fantastic.
When this baby grows in, it will be absolutely stunning.
It will be a pleasure to watch your tank mature!
Thank you! I'll try not to disappoint and kill everything!


FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2016, 04:41 PM   #100
fishinthewall
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybota View Post
Thanks for the compliment!

Nothing fancy, just a TLF 550 reactor that I removed the bottom plate from and superglued the tube in place.

I think the lack of overfeeding wouldn't be a major issue for anybody trying to mimic the setup. You just have to balance your nutrient removal accordingly by being less aggressive with it.

The main component is the CaRX for no water changes. It supplies the foundation elements and also many trace elements, such as strontium and potassium. The nutrient side of the equation is taken care of via biopellets for nitrates and GFO for phosphates.


How much gfo do you go through? Just realized for a 300g tank brs recommends 6 cups 4-8 weeks that's

15-30$ a month :O


fishinthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.