Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 12/18/2018, 09:46 AM   #1
lifeoffaith
Registered Member
 
lifeoffaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grand Rapids MI area
Posts: 683
JBJ 45 Rimless Macroalgae Tank

Looking at changing my plans a bit and going with a macroalgae biotope tank. My thoughts are Japan, Indonesia or for the ease of the biotope, just sticking with a Carribean biotope. I know there are a few of you doing macro biotopes out there, so I'd really covet your thoughts. Have you had luck sourcing algaes from various locations? Are any of you doing anything other than a Carribean biotope?


lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member
 
Michael Hoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,694
In my experience, the vast majority of macros available from American web sites (and LFSs) are from Florida/Caribbean, so it's natural to do Caribbean biotopes. I have seen a few non-Caribbean plants available, but not many.

I did a Caribbean biotope in my previous tank. I really enjoyed it, but I did run into some limitations with fish and inverts, while trying to comply with biotope 'rules'. So in my new tank Im not specifying Caribbean biotope - I'm calling it a lagoon biotope, leaving me open to anything that I think will benefit the system.

I think it would be very cool to do a Japan/Indonesia biotope! I just haven't seen much, if anything, from that area of the world. It would help if you lived there and/or spoke the language. Check out cksss's thread "40g Long Naturally sun-lit tank" here in the macro section of RC.

There's also the choice of not doing a biotope at all. You could just set up a tank for whatever macros you like, and just call it a macro tank. Have fun and good luck!


__________________
As many naturalists and environmentalists have suggested, we should set aside our arrogance,
our desire to conquer and control everything, and walk hand in hand with Mother Nature. -Walter Adey

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2018, 11:58 AM   #3
lifeoffaith
Registered Member
 
lifeoffaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grand Rapids MI area
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
In my experience, the vast majority of macros available from American web sites (and LFSs) are from Florida/Caribbean, so it's natural to do Caribbean biotopes. I have seen a few non-Caribbean plants available, but not many.

I did a Caribbean biotope in my previous tank. I really enjoyed it, but I did run into some limitations with fish and inverts, while trying to comply with biotope 'rules'. So in my new tank Im not specifying Caribbean biotope - I'm calling it a lagoon biotope, leaving me open to anything that I think will benefit the system.

I think it would be very cool to do a Japan/Indonesia biotope! I just haven't seen much, if anything, from that area of the world. It would help if you lived there and/or spoke the language. Check out cksss's thread "40g Long Naturally sun-lit tank" here in the macro section of RC.

There's also the choice of not doing a biotope at all. You could just set up a tank for whatever macros you like, and just call it a macro tank. Have fun and good luck!
Thanks Michael, I've been keeping a close eye on your tanks, and you've definitely given me some inspiration. I am thinking of doing a small group of Royal Grammas and a couple Black Cap Basslets in my 45 and sticking with the Caribbean Biotope thought process. I'm hoping I can pull that off as I know they can be a bit agressive with each other, but they are naturally found together, so hoping there will be enough room in the tank for them to get along. I think I'm going to be a little open to gulf, Florida and Caribbean species since they should mostly cross over, but that may leave it a little more open. I'm also a big fan of inverts, so I'm hoping to have lots of cool inverts in the tank. I may have a grouping of flower nems from the Caribbean too.


lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2018, 05:57 PM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member
 
Michael Hoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,694
I have doubts you can keep multiple basslets in a 45. There are better, less aggressive choices for fish in groups, to fit your tank size. You should be able to have a nice collection of macros and inverts though. Have you looked at cksss's thread? He has an impressive 40 gallon tank with gorgeous macros and inverts.


__________________
As many naturalists and environmentalists have suggested, we should set aside our arrogance,
our desire to conquer and control everything, and walk hand in hand with Mother Nature. -Walter Adey

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2018, 08:16 AM   #5
lifeoffaith
Registered Member
 
lifeoffaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grand Rapids MI area
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I have doubts you can keep multiple basslets in a 45. There are better, less aggressive choices for fish in groups, to fit your tank size. You should be able to have a nice collection of macros and inverts though. Have you looked at cksss's thread? He has an impressive 40 gallon tank with gorgeous macros and inverts.
Yes, I've seen his tank. It's gorgeous. That's the first tank that got me thinking about a macro tank.

I've also thought about a larger group of Flame cardinals. You think I'd fare better with those?

Maybe add a pygmy angel to keep them grouped a little better? That might not be good for my macros though.



Last edited by lifeoffaith; 12/27/2018 at 08:25 AM.
lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2018, 09:40 AM   #6
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member
 
Michael Hoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,694
Those flame cardinals look great. I have no experience with cardinals, but from what I've read, they should do better than basslets in a 45. Pygmy angels are often quite aggressive, especially in smaller tanks. Take a look at gobies and blennies. There are several that do well in groups, and don't need a big tank. Some will even spawn for you.


__________________
As many naturalists and environmentalists have suggested, we should set aside our arrogance,
our desire to conquer and control everything, and walk hand in hand with Mother Nature. -Walter Adey

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2019, 11:57 AM   #7
lifeoffaith
Registered Member
 
lifeoffaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grand Rapids MI area
Posts: 683
11 different Caribbean macros arrived yesterday from a fellow reefer from Michigan: Sargassum, Bryothamnion, Galaxaria, Thin Coraline, Gracilaria, Gracilaria Hayi, Fern Caulerpa, Halimedia, Bladed Caulerpa, Sawtooth Caulerpa and Green Grape Caulerpa. I'm going to have to keep an eye on these Caulerpa and get them thinned out when needed, but cool to finally have some color in the tank. Still trying to decide on fish. Thinking about 4 yellow head jawfish for stocking and then something that swims in the water column along with a nice selection of inverts. Have any of you kept arrow crabs in your Caribbean biotopes with fish? I know they can be opportunistic, as other crabs are, but would be curious what kind of a risk I'd be taking with one. I'm really into the crazy inverts available in this hobby. I'd love to add an urchin too, but they'd probably tear up my macroalgae, so I'll stick with macro safe inverts I suppose.



Last edited by lifeoffaith; 01/10/2019 at 12:09 PM.
lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2019, 03:54 PM   #8
vlangel
Registered Member
 
vlangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoffaith View Post
11 different Caribbean macros arrived yesterday from a fellow reefer from Michigan: Sargassum, Bryothamnion, Galaxaria, Thin Coraline, Gracilaria, Gracilaria Hayi, Fern Caulerpa, Halimedia, Bladed Caulerpa, Sawtooth Caulerpa and Green Grape Caulerpa. I'm going to have to keep an eye on these Caulerpa and get them thinned out when needed, but cool to finally have some color in the tank. Still trying to decide on fish. Thinking about 4 yellow head jawfish for stocking and then something that swims in the water column along with a nice selection of inverts. Have any of you kept arrow crabs in your Caribbean biotopes with fish? I know they can be opportunistic, as other crabs are, but would be curious what kind of a risk I'd be taking with one. I'm really into the crazy inverts available in this hobby. I'd love to add an urchin too, but they'd probably tear up my macroalgae, so I'll stick with macro safe inverts I suppose.
If you are thinking jawfish you must have a sandbed that has some depth in p,aces. Maybe a shrimp/goby pair wouldbe fun. Macro algaes are more forgiving to the digging than some coral.

I have a porcelain and a pom pom crab and both of those are fun. I also have emerald crabs but I think they can go rogue and go after coral.


vlangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2019, 09:53 PM   #9
lifeoffaith
Registered Member
 
lifeoffaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grand Rapids MI area
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
If you are thinking jawfish you must have a sandbed that has some depth in p,aces. Maybe a shrimp/goby pair wouldbe fun. Macro algaes are more forgiving to the digging than some coral.

I have a porcelain and a pom pom crab and both of those are fun. I also have emerald crabs but I think they can go rogue and go after coral.
I do have around 3-4 inches of sand throughout the tank. At first I wasnít sure I liked it, but itís perfect for the jawfish.

Anemone crabs are definitely on the list for the rock flower anemones I plan on. I just really want something different. Your tank has been a big inspiration alongside Michaelís and a couple others.


lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2019, 05:53 AM   #10
vlangel
Registered Member
 
vlangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoffaith View Post
I do have around 3-4 inches of sand throughout the tank. At first I wasnít sure I liked it, but itís perfect for the jawfish.

Anemone crabs are definitely on the list for the rock flower anemones I plan on. I just really want something different. Your tank has been a big inspiration alongside Michaelís and a couple others.
Ahhh thank you. I appreciate the encouraging words. And I totally get why you would want unique inverts. Fish are great and beautiful but inverts are just fun, especially the different quirky ones. That is why I love the ocean so much...the diversity of life in all forms is so expansive. I am awestruck by it.


vlangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2019, 02:58 PM   #11
lifeoffaith
Registered Member
 
lifeoffaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grand Rapids MI area
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Ahhh thank you. I appreciate the encouraging words. And I totally get why you would want unique inverts. Fish are great and beautiful but inverts are just fun, especially the different quirky ones. That is why I love the ocean so much...the diversity of life in all forms is so expansive. I am awestruck by it.
I too am awestruck by it, definitely more fun than any hobby Iíve had before. Diversity is what I tell everyone who wants to listen is what got me into this hobby. Freshwater was getting boring. I still miss some if my freshwater tanks, but this totally makes up for it. And I tend to be a bit of a purist, letting nature take its course where I can, without being completely irresponsible.

Photos coming soon all!


lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2019, 07:52 PM   #12
vlangel
Registered Member
 
vlangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoffaith View Post

Photos coming soon all!
I will be excited to see them.


vlangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2019, 10:10 PM   #13
lifeoffaith
Registered Member
 
lifeoffaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grand Rapids MI area
Posts: 683
FTS.jpgRight Side.jpgBryo.jpgHayi.jpgLeft Side.jpg


lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2019, 10:11 PM   #14
lifeoffaith
Registered Member
 
lifeoffaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grand Rapids MI area
Posts: 683
Prolifera.jpgTop.jpg


lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2019, 07:59 AM   #15
vlangel
Registered Member
 
vlangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,514
Very nice scape and I like the macro algaes. That is wise of you keeping the caulerpa in the sand bed away from you rock work.


vlangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2019, 08:36 AM   #16
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member
 
Michael Hoaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,694
Great pics! Tank looks great too. Beautiful selection of macros. You're off to a good start!


__________________
As many naturalists and environmentalists have suggested, we should set aside our arrogance,
our desire to conquer and control everything, and walk hand in hand with Mother Nature. -Walter Adey

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2019, 12:06 PM   #17
lifeoffaith
Registered Member
 
lifeoffaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Grand Rapids MI area
Posts: 683
Thanks guys. Looking to add some more, but will be a bit. I have a screen top kit on the way so that I can get the tank ready for fish too.


lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.