Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 02/18/2018, 08:35 PM   #5751
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,683
Mine is doing great now. Looking fat with a constant full belly. Eating clams well, Masstick, constantly picking rocks, and just today started taking NLS flakes. That is the first thing its taken from the water colum. I really think it helped out that it went into a established 30g reef “quarantine”. It currently shares the tank with a small copperband butterfly that I am fattening up before it goes in my main tank and a cleaner wrasse that’s been in there for about 2 years. Its a small tank so I could have easily pulled it and treated if any ich or other issues arose, but it doesn’t look like that will be necessary. This one definitely has settled in quicker than others I have had and put through a traditional QT. May have just gotten lucky with a healthier specimen from the start though.


pfan151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2018, 05:41 AM   #5752
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 4,192
Congrats on getting your fish to eat pfan!

"I really think it helped out that it went into a established 30g reef “quarantine”

I agree with your idea, I always try to QT with liverock. The only thing I do is after acclimation is FW dip, then a prazi pro bath before going into QT or going into a tank with no aggression / one fish. I believe when you add a juvenile you have a much less chance of disease than an adult because they are not stressed like an adult while in a holding tank.


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2018, 07:23 AM   #5753
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
Congrats on getting your fish to eat pfan!

"I really think it helped out that it went into a established 30g reef ďquarantineĒ

I agree with your idea, I always try to QT with liverock. The only thing I do is after acclimation is FW dip, then a prazi pro bath before going into QT or going into a tank with no aggression / one fish. I believe when you add a juvenile you have a much less chance of disease than an adult because they are not stressed like an adult while in a holding tank.
Yea. I did do a FW dip before it went in. Didnít notice anything falling off though. Iíll probably keep it in this tank few 6 months because in my display it will have to be quick to get food. That tank is full of wrasses and Chrysiptera species damsels.


pfan151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2018, 09:33 AM   #5754
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 4,192
Great idea because it sounds like he will have to learn to eat fast and on the run. Although my two in my 180 do pretty good with an Imp. and three tangs


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2018, 08:16 PM   #5755
Mknuwet
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 89
Have two coming tomorrow. Hopefully I have success. They are Red Sea variant


Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2018, 08:16 PM   #5756
Mknuwet
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 89
How long do you FW dip for?

Any tips?


Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2018, 08:57 PM   #5757
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mknuwet View Post
How long do you FW dip for?

Any tips?
I did 6 mins. Whereíd you grab yours from?


pfan151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2018, 06:03 AM   #5758
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 4,192
5 min. minimum, but I have gone 20 with one who enjoyed the fw and actually spit water at me while in the fw bath. I should of kept it and sold my male who did not play nice. Instead my LFS got a great Regal Angel. Average is 10 min.


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2018, 06:04 AM   #5759
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 4,192
And we better see some pictures


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2018, 02:03 PM   #5760
rmcgookey
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 59
I ordered a juvenile Maldives RA on Liveaquaria Monday. Was supposed to be shipped Tues for Wed delivery to Atlanta. Yesterday I received an email that the shipment is delayed. Upon calling LA I heard this usually means the fish is sick and can't be shipped. I cancelled the order. Apparently no way to contact the California facility either. LA sends orders to them by fax! Would be great to talk to someone there about the availability of the fish and condition of their fishes.

Anyone have any advice for good internet fish companies? I've dealt with Bluezoo before, wasnt happy. NY Aquatic can be good.


rmcgookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2018, 05:44 PM   #5761
bif24701
Registered Member
 
bif24701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida, FWB
Posts: 3,428
Regal Angel Primer

Livesquaria has small, led, and large Indian Ocean Regal. What would be the best for adding to an established Reef system? I was thinking the Med/Large size, what do you guys think?

Are they best in pairs?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
180 Mixed Reef
SRO-5000 Skimmer
Neptune APEX Gold
Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2018, 05:58 PM   #5762
Mike S
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcgookey View Post
I ordered a juvenile Maldives RA on Liveaquaria Monday. Was supposed to be shipped Tues for Wed delivery to Atlanta. Yesterday I received an email that the shipment is delayed. Upon calling LA I heard this usually means the fish is sick and can't be shipped. I cancelled the order. Apparently no way to contact the California facility either. LA sends orders to them by fax! Would be great to talk to someone there about the availability of the fish and condition of their fishes.

Anyone have any advice for good internet fish companies? I've dealt with Bluezoo before, wasnt happy. NY Aquatic can be good.
Maybe wait a little bit and try reordering through them? They've seem to have them pretty consistently these days. I received a yellow bellly Maldives one from them two weeks ago and its doing fantastic. It started eating the first day and took to pellets within a day or two. Its in my QT with three wrasses and is competing well for food. The wrasses also came from LA and are doing great. I've had mixed results with NYA and good results with Pacific Island Aquatics and Zoazollector for wrasses. They occasionally have regals.


Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2018, 09:00 PM   #5763
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Livesquaria has small, led, and large Indian Ocean Regal. What would be the best for adding to an established Reef system? I was thinking the Med/Large size, what do you guys think?

Are they best in pairs?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smaller is better. And no, they do fine as a single. Pairs are tougher to get right.


pfan151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2018, 10:11 PM   #5764
mandarin417
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 132
bif24701 - I picked up a pair of the small juveniles about two weeks ago and they are doing great in quarantine. Seem to be very compatible with each other. My belief is the juveniles fair much better than the older ones.


mandarin417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2018, 10:18 PM   #5765
bif24701
Registered Member
 
bif24701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida, FWB
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Smaller is better. And no, they do fine as a single. Pairs are tougher to get right.


Ok so if I go with the smaller one how large of a qt do I need? Would it be better to place it in my large sump for monitoring? Iíve heard they dont do so well in qt?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
180 Mixed Reef
SRO-5000 Skimmer
Neptune APEX Gold
Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2018, 10:58 PM   #5766
rmcgookey
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarin417 View Post
bif24701 - I picked up a pair of the small juveniles about two weeks ago and they are doing great in quarantine. Seem to be very compatible with each other. My belief is the juveniles fair much better than the older ones.
Totally agree. My order with LA was for a juvi Indian Ocean- super small. Likely had a large spot. Surprising they still have them live on their site. I was told my order wouldnít be filled due to a likely sick fish too weak to sell or ship... I also have no idea about the quarantine and acclimation process at the CA facility which isnít run by them.


rmcgookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2018, 05:51 AM   #5767
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 4,192
I checked with my LFS and Quality Marine has had two on there stock list, but my LFS was shipped 0 two weeks in a row. I think it becomes like when you walk into a store and ask for something and the clerk says the computer says we have 10 in stock, but then can't find any? I believe the medium are 3"? If so I have great luck with that size also, just not sure about going larger? My two from last year are a year old in my 180 and where dancing along with my flames last night about 5 minutes before the lights went out. I am still hopeful they pair up.


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2018, 12:24 PM   #5768
rmcgookey
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Livesquaria has small, led, and large Indian Ocean Regal. What would be the best for adding to an established Reef system? I was thinking the Med/Large size, what do you guys think?

Are they best in pairs?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure you read my posts but the Live Aquaria small maldives regals arent shipping. I ordered one of those Monday, expecting it Wed and the shipment never went out and I had to call and cancel. These are shipped from a distributor and LA has no access to their staff. Fish was likely sick or out of stock. Surprised it still shows up on the site.


rmcgookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2018, 03:18 PM   #5769
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 4,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarin417 View Post
Here is a better view of the 2 juveniles from LA that I received a few days ago. Seem to like to nibble on everything but never quite sure they are actually swallowing anything. One of the two has decided to start bossing around the other one as of today.

https://youtu.be/koRTY0F7oE4
Bif I am not sure you saw mandarin417's post? In the past all we heard was regal's are a gamble, most do not make it, but the ones from Maldives don't know that evidently, they seem to do well in a standard QT. If you are looking for a cheap QT tank petco many times has 40 breeders for $40


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2018, 03:19 PM   #5770
albano
SALTWATER since '73
 
albano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Katonah, NY/ San Fernando Ca./ Sea Isle City NJ
Posts: 6,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcgookey View Post
These are shipped from a distributor and LA has no access to their staff...
As are all LA fish (not DD)


__________________
______________________________________

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2018, 03:23 PM   #5771
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 4,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcgookey View Post
Not sure you read my posts but the Live Aquaria small maldives regals arent shipping. I ordered one of those Monday, expecting it Wed and the shipment never went out and I had to call and cancel. These are shipped from a distributor and LA has no access to their staff. Fish was likely sick or out of stock. Surprised it still shows up on the site.
RM my baby regal I purchased two years ago came available in April/May. I would of thought divers den may have some coming up? LA gets theirs from Quality Marine, and I know ERI has none in stock. I am not sure of any other wholesalers that carry the maldive's regal?


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2018, 04:36 PM   #5772
bif24701
Registered Member
 
bif24701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida, FWB
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
Bif I am not sure you saw mandarin417's post? In the past all we heard was regal's are a gamble, most do not make it, but the ones from Maldives don't know that evidently, they seem to do well in a standard QT. If you are looking for a cheap QT tank petco many times has 40 breeders for $40


Iíve got a couple 40s around. That works. I think Iím going to opt for ones that are med/lrg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
180 Mixed Reef
SRO-5000 Skimmer
Neptune APEX Gold
Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2018, 05:37 PM   #5773
mitchrapp
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
RM my baby regal I purchased two years ago came available in April/May. I would of thought divers den may have some coming up? LA gets theirs from Quality Marine, and I know ERI has none in stock. I am not sure of any other wholesalers that carry the maldive's regal?
I got my yellow belly regal from saltwaterfish.com, who gets theirs from Sea Dwelling Creatures. Not sure if it was from Maldives, but doesn't matter as it ate everything including pellets from Day 1. They have some in stock right now and they come with a 15-day guarantee.


mitchrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2018, 06:04 PM   #5774
alton
Registered Member
 
alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zuehl, Texas
Posts: 4,192
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/produc...ow-belly-19624
Not bad and get a purple tang for $69 also


alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2018, 07:48 PM   #5775
BigBlueTang
Registered Member
 
BigBlueTang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Iíve got a couple 40s around. That works. I think Iím going to opt for ones that are med/lrg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I wish you nothing but luck, but there is a reason the vast majority of successes in this thread have been with smalls. The one I have in my QT is eating everything, and itís probably 2.75Ē. Iíve seen multiple large ones at LFS that simply donít eat prepared food.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
75 gal, 20 L using as sump, MP40Qd , Eheim 1260 Return,Royal Exclusiv Bubble King Mini 160,Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup, ATI Sunpower 6x54W
BigBlueTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:44 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.