Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/12/2014, 09:18 PM   #151
Djturna4thakidz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistersponge View Post
Glad to hear you got it all set up. I ended up ditching the stock plumbing and going herbie so I'm just now aquascaping (which I hate doing)

Did you drill out the smaller hole in the overflow to accommodate a 1" pipe or leave it? Did you drill the tank for the returns? Pictures?

I am still contemplating how I am going to set this tank up.

Djturna4thakidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2014, 09:23 PM   #152
Mistersponge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djturna4thakidz View Post
Did you drill out the smaller hole in the overflow to accommodate a 1" pipe or leave it? Did you drill the tank for the returns? Pictures?

I am still contemplating how I am going to set this tank up.
Enlarged the 1/2 inch hole to fit a 3/4 bulkhead. That took 15 min with a dremel and diamond bit. 3/4 as siphon, 1" inch emergency. The return is 3/4 run up the back to a 1/2 T with 1/2 loc line. I've painted it all black, but I'll attach the pics I have on me. Hoping to have water in it this week.

Mistersponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2014, 09:41 PM   #153
wetWolger
Registered Member

Quote:
I ended up ditching the stock plumbing and going herbie so I'm just now aquascaping (which I hate doing)
I would love to see photos! Do you have a build thread?

Current Tank Info: 66gal = 32x24x20
wetWolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2014, 10:19 PM   #154
Djturna4thakidz
Registered Member

Looks great! I think I am going to replicate your return setup. Very ingenious

Old 12/13/2014, 01:15 AM   #155
wetWolger
Registered Member

That is exactly how I am planning to do mine. Ridgid pvc over the back just like that as well.

I am also thinking I will do two rw-4's or rw-8's for flow. I am leaning towards the rw-4's, but opinions are always welcome.

Old 12/13/2014, 02:04 AM   #156
Djturna4thakidz
Registered Member

Quote:
Enlarged the 1/2 inch hole to fit a 3/4 bulkhead. That took 15 min with a dremel and diamond bit. 3/4 as siphon, 1" inch emergency. The return is 3/4 run up the back to a 1/2 T with 1/2 loc line. I've painted it all black, but I'll attach the pics I have on me. Hoping to have water in it this week.

What are the pvc couplers called that you used to connect to the loc line through the holes on either side of the overflow?

Old 12/13/2014, 08:55 AM   #157
greaps
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Mistersponge;23328059]Enlarged the 1/2 inch hole to fit a 3/4 bulkhead. That took 15 min with a dremel and diamond bit. 3/4 as siphon, 1" inch emergency. The return is 3/4 run up the back to a 1/2 T with 1/2 loc line. I've painted it all black, but I'll attach the pics I have on me. Hoping to have water in it this week.

Well done! I'f I ever buy a bigger SC tank, I will follow your lead, that came out really well. I'll be posting pictures soon, think my rocks and sand arrive today.

48 hours of leak testing is completed, finishing up a light rail today and getting my RODI started.

greaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2014, 08:57 AM   #158
greaps
Registered Member

[/QUOTE]

Well done! I'f I ever buy a bigger SC tank, I will follow your lead, that came out really well. I'll be posting pictures soon, think my rocks and sand arrive today.

48 hours of leak testing is completed, finishing up a light rail today and getting my RODI started.

Old 12/13/2014, 09:41 AM   #159
Mistersponge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djturna4thakidz View Post
What are the pvc couplers called that you used to connect to the loc line through the holes on either side of the overflow?
They are simply called "couplers" at lowes. One end glues, the other threads. I'll post some pictures later today now that it's all painted black.

Old 12/13/2014, 01:55 PM   #160
greaps
Registered Member

50G System, went with the tank, stand, and sump which included sponges and bio-balls. I'm using my Jebao DC12000 return pump, and purchased a RW-4, considering one additional RW-4 if needed for flow. Bought a Eheim 125W heater. Bought a Coral Box Jebao D300 DC powered skimmer that is running in vinegar now. Bought an Ocean Revive Arctic fixture for lighting, and built a custom light rail from galvanized pipe and elbows, sprayed it black. Waiting on 30lbs of sand, 20lbs of live rock, and an aqua smart ATO. Stand, light rail, plumbing installed, and leak tested for 48 hours.

It seems a little dim now, but its 24L by 24W by 20T I think once the sand is in the tank will brighten up a lot, all that black isn't reflecting any light. Planing on keeping LPS, Frogspawn, and Hammers, along with softies, some green star, mushrooms, and possible Xenia.

Last edited by greaps; 12/13/2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12/13/2014, 01:56 PM   #161
wetWolger
Registered Member

Greaps, is that an RW-4 or an RW-8?

I am trying to decide between two RW-4's or two RW-8's for the 66gal I want to be ordering (slight delay due to needing a new roof, but hoping for late january/early febuary).

Old 12/13/2014, 02:28 PM   #162
greaps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetWolger View Post
Greaps, is that an RW-4 or an RW-8?

I am trying to decide between two RW-4's or two RW-8's for the 66gal I want to be ordering (slight delay due to needing a new roof, but hoping for late january/early febuary).
Thats an RW-4, I'd recommend the RW-8 for the 66G tank if you were keeping SPS, I went with the RW-4's for a gentler flow, Id buy only one at a time, and go from there, the RW-4 is tiny i'm thinking I will need 2 for a 50G. The stock return pipes really limited my return pumps contribution to intake flow.

Old 12/13/2014, 02:55 PM   #163
wetWolger
Registered Member

Greaps, how long till your tank is wet?

I plan to be mostly SPS + LPS + zoa's...bare bottom and a bit higher flow.

I would like to run the RW-4's close to the max intensity. I am rethinking my flow entirely.

I was originally thinking a single MP40. But I decided I would be better off with at least two pumps, and I would like to get something cheaper initially. So at first I was thinking I could get something super cheap, and basically toss it once I got a couple MP10's.

But when I started looking at the RW-4's and RW-8's, I figured maybe I should start with those...you never know I might be happy enough with just those.

So now my thoughts are either two RW-4's, hoping that with both of them maxed out I would be happy. Then if I find it's not enough flow, I could add on a single MP10 after that, or possibly a third RW-4, or possibly a RW-8.

I really hate cables in the display tank, so that's where it gets tricky for me. My plan with the RW-4's is put them high up on the back wall, try to tuck the cable as much as possible in the corner of where the back wall meets the overflow. Then have those point down towards the lower front of the tank.

The return from sump would be focused on surface level movement.

Then if I needed more flow, I could add a MP10 on the right side, as close to the bottom as reasonable. If I was super happy with the SW-4's I could maybe consider doing a third SW-4 or a SW-8 in the same place as the MP10, but then I would have to deal with the look of the cable all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Anyways, I am really not sure....the only thing I have 100% decided on is I will get either two SW-4's or two SW-8's to start out with, and maybe add a third _something_ down the road. I am leaning towards the SW-4's because I feel like if I can get away with the small device going 100%, I would prefer that than a bigger device I have to keep turned way down (astetics).

So that's why I asked how long till your wet, I would love to get your opinion of how much movement you get from the single SW-4. If you feel two SW-4's would provide good flow for a 66gal, or it might be kinda close.

I would love to see a video of your pump running 100% in else mode.

Old 12/13/2014, 03:17 PM   #164
greaps
Registered Member

Quote:
Greaps, how long till your tank is wet?

I plan to be mostly SPS + LPS + zoa's...bare bottom and a bit higher flow.

I would like to run the RW-4's close to the max intensity. I am rethinking my flow entirely.

I was originally thinking a single MP40. But I decided I would be better off with at least two pumps, and I would like to get something cheaper initially. So at first I was thinking I could get something super cheap, and basically toss it once I got a couple MP10's.

But when I started looking at the RW-4's and RW-8's, I figured maybe I should start with those...you never know I might be happy enough with just those.

So now my thoughts are either two RW-4's, hoping that with both of them maxed out I would be happy. Then if I find it's not enough flow, I could add on a single MP10 after that, or possibly a third RW-4, or possibly a RW-8.

I really hate cables in the display tank, so that's where it gets tricky for me. My plan with the RW-4's is put them high up on the back wall, try to tuck the cable as much as possible in the corner of where the back wall meets the overflow. Then have those point down towards the lower front of the tank.

The return from sump would be focused on surface level movement.

Then if I needed more flow, I could add a MP10 on the right side, as close to the bottom as reasonable. If I was super happy with the SW-4's I could maybe consider doing a third SW-4 or a SW-8 in the same place as the MP10, but then I would have to deal with the look of the cable all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Anyways, I am really not sure....the only thing I have 100% decided on is I will get either two SW-4's or two SW-8's to start out with, and maybe add a third _something_ down the road. I am leaning towards the SW-4's because I feel like if I can get away with the small device going 100%, I would prefer that than a bigger device I have to keep turned way down (astetics).

So that's why I asked how long till your wet, I would love to get your opinion of how much movement you get from the single SW-4. If you feel two SW-4's would provide good flow for a 66gal, or it might be kinda close.

I would love to see a video of your pump running 100% in else mode.
I'm about 2-3 days at best from water, sand, and rocks going in. Worst case about 6-7 days, my wife's due for our second kid in 4 days. I'm going a low minimalist scape most likely but I can't say until the rocks arrive. I will get a video when its up. I feel though for a bare bottom tank, you should go with RW-8's.

I used WP25's two on a 40g breeder bare bottom tank before this tank. I ran them on else mode all day. WP's are more directional and the tank was much smaller than your 66g. From my RW-4 placed on the back wall pushing water at the center front its quite diminished, it doesn't push much after 18-24 inches, and placed middle of the tank doesn't pull much "undertow" When I first set them in I thought wow I needed the RW-8's, as I was used to tons of flow before, but after thinking about my tanks needs two RW-4's will likely work. And I'f they don't I can sell them and go bigger, probably lose out on 35$ after shipping.

Old 12/14/2014, 07:30 AM   #165
Mistersponge
Registered Member

She's getting wet.

Old 12/14/2014, 08:20 AM   #166
greaps
Registered Member

Quote:
She's getting wet.

Thats the 66G tank correct? How many pounds of rock did you buy? It looks good. I went with 20 pounds of reef saver for a 50g tank, I'm hoping its like pukani where 20b's dry is like 30-40lbs wet. Did you have left over rock? What % leftover?

Old 12/14/2014, 08:23 AM   #167
Mistersponge
Registered Member

It's the 90. I ordered 50 lbs of Fiji and 50 pukani. I have a lot left. I used all the pukani. Might put some Fiji in the sump.

Old 12/14/2014, 08:31 AM   #168
greaps
Registered Member

Very nice, hope my rock arrives soon, almost ordered 15lbs, but last second went with 20lbs. Thinking it will be plenty at this point.

If I may suggest for your scape, maybe moving the right island inward a little so cleaning the glass is easier, and flow is better, although it bare bottom I don't expect flow problems.

Old 12/14/2014, 08:55 AM   #169
Mistersponge
Registered Member

Good point I will have to move it. Sand will go in this afternoon probably. I could never stand a bare bottom tank ;-) 80 lbs pink Fiji is going in.

Old 12/14/2014, 08:56 AM   #170
Mistersponge
Registered Member

14 hours, sheeeesh.

Old 12/14/2014, 10:37 AM   #171
GoGo98102
Registered Member

I love that DIY return pipe set up. The problem I have is I have a thick euro braver around the top rim. Anyone else has a euro bracer with a DIY set up I can copy? :-D

GoGo98102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2014, 11:38 AM   #172
greaps
Registered Member

50g system, update. Sand, rocks, and RODI water in. Going to start adding salt now. Water level only appears not level from the powerhead. Looking forward to the building the fish, and invert list.

Last edited by greaps; 12/16/2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12/16/2014, 02:44 PM   #173
Mistersponge
Registered Member

Still cloudy over here. Bio Spira went in this morning. Rock is starting to smell.

Old 12/16/2014, 03:36 PM   #174
wetWolger
Registered Member

greaps, now that you have it full of water, what do you think about the RW-4?

What kind of water movement would I look at in a slightly larger aquarium with two RW-4's running at 75 to 100%?

Old 12/16/2014, 06:17 PM   #175
greaps
Registered Member

Quote:
greaps, now that you have it full of water, what do you think about the RW-4?

What kind of water movement would I look at in a slightly larger aquarium with two RW-4's running at 75 to 100%?
For my 50g two RW-4's would be more than enough flow for soft corals and LPS which I'm planning. Its hard to say if in a bigger tank and with different rock work if you would be happy with them. I went with only 20lbs of rock and its open around each structure. So that in itself improves circulation. I'm happy with just the single on "ELSE" mode (random) as it is. But will probably pick up a second RW-4 in the future.

In your case a tank that is larger and bare bottom I would get a single RW-8, and go from there. I'f I was going SPS and bare bottom on my current 50g tank I would go with RW-8's. The LPS would need to be in more sheltered locations, but thats all in your planning.

Hope this ramble could help. Good luck!