Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/20/2015, 01:21 AM   #326
RingingEars
Because they ring

This is a great confidence booster. Good to hear stories like this.

RingingEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2015, 05:28 AM   #327
SaltyDoug
Registered Member

Hmm I noticed these guys are selling a 150 gallon starfire for 788 til the end of the month.

I see lots of good things being said in this thread , your making it hard to resist !

SaltyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2015, 12:23 PM   #328
GoGo98102
Registered Member

That's a really good deal. I got it for $800 on (and skipped) eBay via Steve the last time. Now with 3 drilled holes, if I didn't already have my 150, I would buy it again!

GoGo98102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2015, 01:08 PM   #329
aesp533262
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanWolf View Post
Even though I am the original creator of this thread, I never had to contact SC Aquarium until last week. I had problem with my SCA-302 skimmer pump which does not want to go to full speed until I blow into the air hose. An email to SCA solved my problems. They do have a great customer service. Great product, great service.
What was their resolve for this. Having something similar happen on my 301 skimmer

aesp533262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2015, 03:54 PM   #330
Esage
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothlarryhughes View Post
what size did you get? You're running the stock plumbing?

I just got my 90 gallon on Friday - I'll post some pictures of all the parts. Looks really nice and the wooden stand is a beast. I'm thinking of customizing the LED lights in this thread. Everyone I've seen who have gotten them is satisfied and are getting great coral growth, but you have to specify the color leds you want because the default are too white

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hlight=ledzeal
I don't see a wood stand as an option for the 90 cube, how did you get the wood stand?

Old 06/25/2015, 09:48 AM   #331
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesp533262 View Post
What was their resolve for this. Having something similar happen on my 301 skimmer
A new impeller.

OceanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2015, 02:06 PM   #332
andrek787
Registered Member

Hey guys, I have a question for those with eurobraced tanks e.g 150g. Has anyone ran return lines over the back rather then through over flow?

I am about to finally take delivery of a 150g. I want to use the 3 x 1" holes to run a bean animal setup and run two returns over the back.

Old 06/30/2015, 03:35 PM   #333
GoGo98102
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrek787 View Post
Hey guys, I have a question for those with eurobraced tanks e.g 150g. Has anyone ran return lines over the back rather then through over flow?

I am about to finally take delivery of a 150g. I want to use the 3 x 1" holes to run a bean animal setup and run two returns over the back.
I did. Can't put the top canopy anymore if you do (I never did).

PS: I put glass panel on top of my 150g.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6061 (Small).JPG (70.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6063 (Small).JPG (39.7 KB, 138 views)
Old 06/30/2015, 03:39 PM   #334
GoGo98102
Registered Member

By the way, I run Herbies (I have the older 150g). It's completely silent and never had a problem with it. And trust me, I sleep next to my tank and am a very light sleeper. I know what silent is.

Old 06/30/2015, 03:42 PM   #335
GoGo98102
Registered Member

And another PS: My Banggai cardinal just had babies! I didn't even know until just now. They are less than 1/2" and if my face wasn't 6" away from the tank, I would never had seen them. I guess that's another advantage of having a big tank- more stable water, more places to hide, and your fish might have babies without you even knowing it!

Old 06/30/2015, 03:52 PM   #336
booyaa138
Registered Member

GoGo, what are the Dims. of your tank? Are you running a reef breeders light?

booyaa138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2015, 04:14 PM   #337
GoGo98102
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaa138 View Post
GoGo, what are the Dims. of your tank? Are you running a reef breeders light?
60"x24"x24"

I indeed have a Reefbreeders Photon 48. My tank is only 7 months old but my corals have either double or grew 10 times the size since I got them.

I overfeed my fish and I don't use a filter sock. However, I do have an upgraded skimmer, RLSS R8-u.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6601 (Small).JPG (59.7 KB, 204 views)
Old 06/30/2015, 05:12 PM   #338
booyaa138
Registered Member

Nice looking tank! My tank is 18 in the width instead of 24(60x24x18). I'm thinking of getting the reef breeder 60w or the BML 20k MC fixture.

Seeing your tank make it hard to pick!

Old 06/30/2015, 05:20 PM   #339
deaddat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingingEars View Post
Hey all.
Thinking of joining the SC club.
I talked to Steve about a 90 gallon pnp setup today and I was really impressed with their prompt email response.
I need a tank with a canopy(don't want my cat going swimming) so the 90 pnp seems like a great option.
I think I'm going to set the canopy up with 2 of the Hamilton Aruba suns and a mix of ATI bulbs.
I e-mailed him with some questions and he responded within 30 minutes...I don't know if that's the norm, but it sold me!

When I was looking for a tank I saw this one and it was the perfect dimensions...I googled the company and a handful of people had a lot of nasty things to say. I'm glad I found this thread and hear that people love their tanks.

I'm going to order the 50g PNP system in a couple months, I just hope that sale price is the same or I will be kicking myself.

Does anyone use their skimmer on a LPS dominate tank?

deaddat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2015, 05:58 PM   #340
GoGo98102
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaa138 View Post
Nice looking tank! My tank is 18 in the width instead of 24(60x24x18). I'm thinking of getting the reef breeder 60w or the BML 20k MC fixture.

Seeing your tank make it hard to pick!
Thanks.

I have a BML fixture for my freshwater planted tank. It's pretty good except it was missing one of the ceiling mount nuts. I emailed them and posted on their support forum but they never responded. I ended up going to a hardware store and did a DIY mount.

BML seems like a pretty decent company but it takes forever for them to build and ship. Reed breeders ship fast!

Old 06/30/2015, 05:59 PM   #341
booyaa138
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 07/01/2015, 12:32 PM   #342
smoothlarryhughes
Registered Member

Maybe they don't have any in stock. It was an option when I ordered. Maybe shoot them an email.

smoothlarryhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2015, 08:13 PM   #343
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo98102 View Post
And another PS: My Banggai cardinal just had babies! I didn't even know until just now. They are less than 1/2" and if my face wasn't 6" away from the tank, I would never had seen them. I guess that's another advantage of having a big tank- more stable water, more places to hide, and your fish might have babies without you even knowing it!
Cool. 😀

OceanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2015, 02:41 AM   #344
Reigun
Registered Member

I just picked up a 50G PNP from SCA. It was on sale for $599 on their website, figured it was a deal I couldn't pass up!

I'm new to the hobby and this is my first tank. I'm ready to start working on the plumbing but debating between the durso or herbie. I picked up new standard ABS Slip x Slip bulkheads. Has anyone successfully done the herbie with 1/2" bulkhead and 1" bulkhead with 1/2" PVC and 1" PVC? Or are most expanding the piping for the 1/2"?

Reigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2015, 09:26 AM   #345
Boltline
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigun View Post
I just picked up a 50G PNP from SCA. It was on sale for $599 on their website, figured it was a deal I couldn't pass up!

I'm new to the hobby and this is my first tank. I'm ready to start working on the plumbing but debating between the durso or herbie. I picked up new standard ABS Slip x Slip bulkheads. Has anyone successfully done the herbie with 1/2" bulkhead and 1" bulkhead with 1/2" PVC and 1" PVC? Or are most expanding the piping for the 1/2"?
Congrats on the new tank! I have the same tank too. I've been looking in to the same question you have for some time now that from what I've read it could work but can be dangerous if you have an issue with your main drain. Where in Cali do you live? I'm going to drill my 1/2" to 1" soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Boltline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2015, 01:18 PM   #346
GoGo98102
Registered Member

I upgraded my (150g) from durso to Herbie and couldn't be happier. The first night I filled the tank up and used the durso that came with it, it kept me up all night. It was like a leaking toilet that kept flushing itself every 3 minutes. Over the New Year vacation, I drained the overflow (thank God it was only the overflow I needed to drain) and put in an return line from the back and use the original 2 holes for herbie. Now it's completely quiet. (I sleep next to it and I am a light sleeper.) Trying to find the quietest return pump and protein skimmer is worthy of a whole new thread so I am not gonna rant here.

I was worried about the 1/2" was too small for the plumbing so I used PVC cement to fuse a larger PVC pipe on the outside (instead of slipping into the 1/2", unfortunately I can't find the pictures I took anymore).

It turned out that the overflow can't handle more than(1500gph?) of water anyway. I have a Fluval SP6 pump that is capable of 3434gpr. Even with running 2 reactors on the same return line, I have to close the gate 1/3 because the overflow couldn't let enough water come in.

Old 07/10/2015, 01:35 PM   #347
GoGo98102
Registered Member

Sorry I forgot to add- I suggest don't drill the hole bigger, you won't need it. The pump that comes with the tank is not big enough to use bigger holes. The pump I have is way more than I need but the overflow turned out to be the new bottleneck.

I am planning on upgrading to a 375g in the near future. My bio load is crazy high (40+ fish) and I have no place left for new coral. Every fish is getting big and fat and corals are growing like weeds. I know at least 3 of my fish are pregnant. This might be a beginner's luck because this is also my first marine tank. When and if I get a 375, I would do bean animal for sure. For 150g and under, I personally think herbie is good enough.

PS: What does anyone think of their 24g cube tank for $145? I am very tempted to get one, share the same sump as my 150, and use it as a grow out tank for fish babies.

Old 07/10/2015, 02:21 PM   #348
Boltline
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo98102 View Post
I upgraded my (150g) from durso to Herbie and couldn't be happier. The first night I filled the tank up and used the durso that came with it, it kept me up all night. It was like a leaking toilet that kept flushing itself every 3 minutes. Over the New Year vacation, I drained the overflow (thank God it was only the overflow I needed to drain) and put in an return line from the back and use the original 2 holes for herbie. Now it's completely quiet. (I sleep next to it and I am a light sleeper.) Trying to find the quietest return pump and protein skimmer is worthy of a whole new thread so I am not gonna rant here.

I was worried about the 1/2" was too small for the plumbing so I used PVC cement to fuse a larger PVC pipe on the outside (instead of slipping into the 1/2", unfortunately I can't find the pictures I took anymore).

It turned out that the overflow can't handle more than(1500gph?) of water anyway. I have a Fluval SP6 pump that is capable of 3434gpr. Even with running 2 reactors on the same return line, I have to close the gate 1/3 because the overflow couldn't let enough water come in.
You up some good points. Maybe drilling the tank might not be necessary but being the anal person that I am... I'm taking the risk and drilling my tank. Good thing for me is I've upgraded the return pump and if I did my math right I should be ok.

I am also planing to redesign the sump to allow space for a bigger skimmer down the road and have better use of refugium space. I'll post pics once I'm done with all my mods.

Boltline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2015, 12:38 AM   #349
andrek787
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I know this is a strange question, but how does the process of liftgate delivery of a 150g on pallet go for you. When they will be delivering I most likely alone at the house.

Can I just tell them where to put the pallet, like inside the garage?
Steve said they just set the pallet on the road. I need to move the tank/pallet behind the house. Can I put dollies underneath the pallet?

Old 07/11/2015, 01:27 AM   #350
GoGo98102
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrek787 View Post
Hey guys,

I know this is a strange question, but how does the process of liftgate delivery of a 150g on pallet go for you. When they will be delivering I most likely alone at the house.

Can I just tell them where to put the pallet, like inside the garage?
Steve said they just set the pallet on the road. I need to move the tank/pallet behind the house. Can I put dollies underneath the pallet?
Did you get the stand too? Mine came with everything and was 695# on the shipping slip. The tank itself was about 350#. There is no way you can move it yourself unless you have a jack lift (not sure what's called) thing. The delivery person was dropping it off in my alley (I live in the last house. He didn't drop it off the main road.) I don't remember exactly what happened but he was nice enough to use the jack lift thingy to move it into my yard, about 30 feet.

However, the 2 pallet package sat in the yard under the tarp for another 3 weeks before I got enough people to help me move them into my room.